During the month of October we like dressing up and pretending to be scary witches, goblins, and ghosts, but let’s talk about what’s truly scares millions of families year-round… POVERTY.
According to the most recent estimates:
- Ten-percent of the world’s population lives on less than $1.90 USD a day.
- More than half of the extreme poor live in Sub-Saharan Africa, with an estimated 413 million people living on less than $1.90 USD a day.
- Over the last decade, extreme poverty in Latin America has risen to over 61 million people living in extreme poverty.
- Poverty in East Asia and the Pacific has decreased over the last decade, yet there are still 47 million living in extreme poverty in these regions.
- The majority of the global poor live in rural areas are poorly educated, employed in the agricultural sector, and under 18 years of age.
The work to end extreme poverty is far from over, and many challenges remain. But we are not scared.
In fact, we are more passionate than ever. We are focusing more than ever on our mentoring and business training programs to help make sure that the entrepreneurial families we are helping are making positive changes for the future.
Source: World Bank